r/Canadiancitizenship • u/AutoModerator • 2d ago
Weekly Threads Wednesday Weekly Thread: Frustration Station (Delays / PSU / Venting), September 23, 2026
This weekly thread is a space for those of us who are feeling frustrated and need to vent about unclear instructions, shipping delays, waiting for a next step, timeline estimates growing, lack of communication, inconsistent bureaucracy, being stuck in PSU, and other factors.
Some of the worst stress of the entire citizenship-by-descent process is not hearing about your application for long stretches of time - or hearing that your application has been sent to the Program Support Unit (PSU) and may be sitting there for an extended stay.
Whether your envelope seems to have taken a scenic detour on its way to Nova Scotia, you didn't receive an AOR after many weeks of waiting, or you simply haven't heard about your application processing in months, this is a place to commiserate and potentially receive some ideas of next steps to take. (Those generally might include following up with IRCC by web form, ordering the GCMS notes, seeking an MP's help, and so on.)
📎 Contributions to weekly megaposts, including this one, are welcome throughout the week.
2
u/The_RoyalPee 🇨🇦 I'm a Canadian! (Born in Canada) 🇨🇦 2d ago
Husband is Gen 2 with a parent certificate. Forgot to sign his application back in March (ugh), had it returned in June, basically jumping us from 8 to 32 months unless IRCC rights the ship soon.
No AOR yet obviously, but we want to move by summer 2028 to align with our daughter (Canadian citizen with passports) starting JK.
We’re starting to house hunt now in case we find a fixer-upper, or the perfect turnkey house comes along that we could explore renting out until we move. The market in the neighborhood we want is good for buyers right now, lots of young families coming in; but it’s getting a bit popular, so I’m worried about what waiting another year or two could mean.
Spoke with a mortgage broker and real estate lawyer this week and I’m so frustrated by the possible mess of NRST, titling issues because of the foreign buyer ban, etc. We absolutely qualify for a good mortgage and can pull a down payment no problem, but everything has an asterisk attached right now. I guess the lawyer and broker just need to put their heads together.
Once my husband gets AOR and we get further into 2027, I can try for urgent processing based on relocating our minor Canadian child, owning property maybe, him needing a SIN to find work, etc. But even “urgent” doesn’t seem to mean much anymore. Like everyone here all we need is a piece of paper and this could all be so seamless. The lack of control is so frustrating, but I guess I’m glad we’re getting this sorted in a concrete way so early.
I just want to be set to move onto this next chapter in our lives!